Five people were killed and about 50 others, mainly farmers, were kidnapped from a village in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo by suspected Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) terrorists, a civil society group said on Monday.
The incident occurred on Saturday in Mambasa territory in Ituri province, according to John Vuleveryo, coordinator of the local civil society group Protection Plus.
The rights group said security situation in the area remained extremely concerning.
Vuleveryo called on the country’s armed forces to rescue those taken hostage and bring the attackers to justice.
Preventive protection
“The population needs preventive, effective and sustainable protection. We ask the authorities to communicate clearly with the population on the measures taken to secure them,” he said.
The ADF remains one of the most dangerous armed groups operating in eastern DR Congo and is responsible for systematic and large-scale attacks against civilians, including killings, abductions and sexual violence, according to the UN.
Mambasa territory has seen a deterioration in security in recent times, according to media and civil society reports.
Last week, a local NGO, the Association for the Protection and Defense of Vulnerable Children and Women in Ituri province, said suspected ADF terrorists had attacked Mambasa territory nearly 50 times since May 6.
Hundreds killed across months
It said more than 300 people had been killed and roughly 200 houses burned in separate attacks during that period.
The ADF, which has been active in eastern DR Congo for several years, is affiliated with the Daesh terrorist organisation.
Since 2021, Ugandan and Congolese forces have been conducting joint operations against the ADF.





















